Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hulk is smashing my confidence


A week or so ago, our Avengers pinball machine arrived from Stern.  We got one of the limited edition Hulk versions, partly because we totally called it that they were going to make one, and partly because my son loves Hulk.

The machine is gorgeous.  The lighting is some of the most beautiful I've seen.  The music is awesome, and the callouts (done by Marvel-approved impersonators, and not the actors from the film) always have me laughing.  I was a bit worried when I found out they weren't using film dialog or the actual actors, but they really did a good job with this.  I'm not one of those people that needs the audio clips on a pinball machine to always be referencing pinball.  Tron, for example, just tactically integrates actual movie dialog into the play experience, and I love that.  However, the Avengers callouts are great, and I'm now cool with that approach too.

You have to be a pretty accurate player to hit the shots in this game, you have to hit them pretty much dead-on, and the game is all about making those shots.  The ball will redily bounce into the outlanes and drain, too.  One of the goals is to assemble all the Avengers.  So far, I have assembled no more than two in any given game.  I almost always get the Hulk, and Captain America is not that hard to collect, but I've only gotten him a couple times, and Thor once, randomly. 

George, I love you, but it's pretty crazy when I'm falling back to AC/DC because it's nicer to me! :p  I think Avengers is a bit beyond my skill level, but I'm going to keep at it and see if I can improve.  I have to admit, the machine is brutal, but there's no doubt it'll make me a better player!  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, after all, and when I do make the Hawkeye and Black Widow shots, it feels really freaking good.




No comments: