Friday, December 19, 2008

How about a nice game of chess?

Yet again, video game skills are finding real-world application.

Wii-Controlled Robots Made for Combat

Using the controller from the popular Nintendo Wii gaming system (the "Wiimote") scientists from the Idaho National Laboratory, working with engineers from the U.S. Army, Foster-Miller, and iRobot, are developing novel ways to control military robots.
So many thoughts just ran through my head, not the least of which is, can I train my Wii-ComBot to fetch me a cup of coffee?

The Wiimote-controlled robot works fine in test conditions, but a battlefield is a rougher place. Before any new robot control device is used in combat it must be significantly "ruggidized," said Slater.
Sweet. Once that happens, I would like to buy one of THOSE Wiimotes!

This is really a very interesting development for the video game space. I mean, what is this going to do to the Wii supply?! Or...is this where they've been going all along? /eyesnarrow

No comments: