Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Some Flicks

As I jam out here listening to Skratch 'N Sniff, dancing in my kitchen (and I am comfortable telling you that I am dancing in my kitchen, for you cannot see me), there are three recent Netflix rentals on my mind. Two are good. One...not so good.

Shoot 'Em Up
I really liked this movie, great blend of comedy and action, and just plain fun to watch. Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti ROCKED THE HOUSE.




Tropic Thunder
Damn good comedy, they push the limits of the humor, and for the most part walk that fine line between stupid and funny. Just like Zoolander. I love Zoolander, it's one of the very few movies I own. If you liked Zoolander, you'll probably dig Tropic Thunder. And my best friend, Kanadani, who was not a fan of Zoolander, still loved Tropic Thunder. There are some very Zoolander moves, and cameos from that film by notables like the evil DJ (he even did a breakdance fighting move!) and...Lance Bass.



Robert Downey, Jr.'s performance would put Eddie Murphy to shame. I was absolutely shocked to find myself liking a Tom Cruise performance for the first time in probably 10 years, not to mention Tobey Maguire and Matthew McConaughey, actors I normally don't like. My other close personal friend, Clovis, says that the commentary is fantastic. We didn't catch that on our Netflix rental, but no worries, because the next day we went out and bought this movie. It's a keeper.

Oh, and the fake trailers...awesome.


Wanted
You know, this one started out so strong, I think that's why I was annoyed by its betrayal and descent into crapdom. James McAvoy SO wished he was Edward Norton, when he wasn't wishing he was Neo. And while I love Morgan Freeman, he's played "the man upstairs" one time too many.

The loom angle really shook my confidence, but at that point, the film still manages some clever stuff, so we stuck with it. But by the end, we realized that we'd been had. If you have seen this movie, wth is up with the ending? I was unwilling to watch it a second time and get my facts straight, but it WAS him at his desk, and needlessly shooting out some perfectly fine car windows from a few miles away, right? And in answer to the final question in the film, "Lately? Well, we've just wasted a couple hours watching YOU, for one thing..."



Just kidding. OK, serious this time...

No comments: